The Tools Used to Create Beautiful Smiles
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the correction of misaligned teeth and jaws. This field of dentistry has come a long way since its inception, with advancements in technology and orthodontic instruments allowing for more efficient and effective treatment options. In this blog post, we will explore the different orthodontic instruments used by orthodontists and answer some commonly asked questions about orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic Instruments: An Overview
Orthodontic pliers are perhaps the most well-known of all orthodontic instruments. These pliers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each designed for a specific task. Some of the most common types of orthodontic pliers include:
- Band removing pliers: Used to remove orthodontic bands from teeth
- Archwire contouring pliers: Used to adjust the shape of archwires
- Distal end cutters: Used to cut the distal end of archwires
- Ligature tying pliers: Used to tie ligatures (small rubber bands or wires) around brackets to hold the archwire in place
How Orthodontists Put on Braces
The process of putting on braces begins with a thorough examination of the teeth and jaws. This typically involves the following steps:
- Cleaning and preparing the teeth: The orthodontist will clean the teeth and dry them thoroughly to prepare them for the application of the braces.
- Applying the brackets: The brackets are carefully positioned on each tooth and bonded in place using a special adhesive.
- Attaching the archwire: Once the brackets are in place, the orthodontist will attach the archwire to the brackets using ligatures.
- Adjusting the braces: Over the course of the treatment, the orthodontist will make periodic adjustments to the braces to ensure that the teeth are moving into their proper position.